Escape the crowds in Venice
It is nigh impossible to escape the crowds in Venice, which is historically why 16th-century noblemen (and 21st-century billionaires) created summer palaces and gardens 800 yards across the water on La Giudecca.
Today, you can walk along the Canale della Giudecca and enjoy the Canaletto pastel-perfect views without having to share them with thousands of Nikon toting visitors across the water.
Perhaps that’s why Sir Elton John chose to buy a house here in the extreme south of the island (and with the best views in Venice, according to Giudecca residents).
The Palladio Hotel & Spa is located nearby, with such an unshowy entrance that it’s easy to walk straight past.
Only an unobtrusive Leading Hotels of the World sign reveals what’s behind the walls of this 16th-century palazzo.
Built by famed architect Andrea Palladio, the hotel sits opposite St Mark’s Square across the water.
Rooms are plush and very Italian in style, featuring fabric-covered walls, spindly chairs and fringed sofas.
The Spa is more pared down, located in what was once a storage room in the days when the palazzo was a kind of school for women from poor families.
Nuns taught them embroidery and other skills that might help them become good wives.
The women hopefully stitched their way into a good marriage, and if around today would no doubt be popping in for lunchtime facials.
The Spa is a complex of 450 sq mtrs featuring eight treatments rooms, including sauna and king –sized Turkish hammam.
It offers a selection of beauty and wellness rituals that combine traditional techniques with the latest technology, such as Swiss Etio-Cosmetics, and Vitalis, the micro-molecular steam bath. Other facilities are designed for two, such as the King Size Jacuzzi in the Spa suite with twin beds for couple massage and a fireplace for a romantic ambiance.
- Separate undressing rooms for ladies and gentlemen with shared sauna
- Pedispa : cabin with special armchair for Spa manicure and feet Jacuzzi
- 2 cabin for massages
- 1 cabin for facial treatments
- 1 Dr. Vitalis cabin with a special pampering cocoon treatment
- 1 Ayurveda suite – a larger cabin with a king size futon especially equipped for oriental treatments.
- a chaise-longue steam bath sided by an emotional shower
- 1 Spa suite with double Obermaier Jacuzzi ; twin beds for couple massage; fireplace; Swedish shower
- A wide gorgeous relaxing living room area with a unique panoramic view onto San Mark – to enjoy your personal wellness moment.